- Janic, K. & N. Puddu (2023). Crosslinguistic generalizations about reflexive constructions. In Janic K., Puddu, N. & M. Haspelmath (eds.), Reflexive constructions in the world’s languages. Berlin: Language Science Press.
- Janic, K. (2023). Reflexive constructions in Polish. In K. Janic, N. Puddu & M. Haspelmath (eds.), Reflexive constructions in the world’s languages. Berlin: Language Science Press.
- Janic, K. & N. Puddu (2023). Introducing the cross-linguistic comparison of reflexive constructions. In Janic K., Puddu, N. & M. Haspelmath (eds.), Reflexive constructions in the world’s languages. Berlin: Language Science Press.
- Janic, K. & M. Haspelmath (2023). Questionnaire on reflexive constructions in the world’s languages. In Janic K., Puddu, N. & M. Haspelmath (eds.), Reflexive constructions in the world’s languages. Berlin: Language Science Press.
Janic, K., N. Puddu, & M. Haspelmath (eds) (2023). Reflexive constructions in the world’s languages. Berlin: Language Science Press.
1. Invited lecture
On 25 November 2022, Katarzyna Janic gave a lecture in the Empirical Linguistics and Language Documentation program. She delivered her expertise in typological linguistics, where M.A. students had an occasion to get acquainted with the morphosyntactic facet of typology. She introduced the notion of semantic roles, grammatical functions, transitivity, and subject alignment based on various examples taken from the world’s languages.
2. Kick-off meeting
The Principal Investigator, Katarzyna Janic (fellow), and Co-Investigator, Krzysztof Stronski (mentor), participated in the kick-off meeting. The two-day event took place on 12-13 December 2022 at the National Science Centre’s headquarters in Krakow and was the first networking opportunity for the researchers of Polonez Bis.
An essential part of the kick-off meeting was a dedicated workshop on personal and Career Development Planning (CDP), prepared and delivered by the POLONEZ BIS institutional partner CRAC-Vitae. The kick-off meeting also offered a lecture on open access and the data management process. In addition, there was a session where fellows and mentors worked together to refine the individual CDP. During the meeting, the young researchers had an opportunity to discuss the preliminary Career Development Plan. They got familiarised with the RDF Planner, a tool that tracks professional and career development plans. The kick-off meeting provided an excellent opportunity to meet other fellows and mentors to discuss projects, exchange ideas, and develop a network of colleagues in a friendly atmosphere.
3. Participation in the Colloquium
Participation in the colloquium organized in Honour of Martin Haspelmath’s 60th birthday. The event took place on 2-3 March 2023 at the University of Potsdam and gathered linguists from different parts of the world whose research is typologically oriented. This meeting provided an excellent occasion to present advanced results from the field of linguistic typology, exchange ideas on challenging issues, get familiar with new trends in linguistic typology, and connect again with typologists after the pandemic.
4. Lectures for M.A. students in the ELLDo program
The involvement in the cycle of 15 lectures opened for the M.A. students (though Ph.D. students also take part) from Adam Mickiewicz University. The lectures started in the summer semester 2022/2023 on March 10, 2023, and occur regularly every Friday at 11h30 in Collegium Novum. They are part of the MA program „Empirical Linguistics and Language Documentation (ELLDo)” organized at the Faculty of Modern Languages and Literatures and are dedicated to „verbal valency,” – a foundation around which the project Polonez Bis is built. In the class, the students will be guided through different valency-changing operations in the world’s languages.
As the laureate of the Joseph Greenberg Award (2015) – a prize of the Association for Linguistic Typology granted for the best typological research embodied in a doctoral dissertation, I will confidently transfer knowledge for approaching the topic of valency-changing operations from a typological perspective, highlighting cross-linguistic diversity, distribution, and language-internal variations in this domain.
5. Talk at the Scientific Council for the Disciplines of Linguistics and Literary
On 27 April 2023, Katarzyna Janic gave a talk at the Scientific Council for the Disciplines of Linguistics and Literary at Adam Mickiewicz University. After a summary of her educational and research background as well as connection to Adam Mickiewicz University, she presented to the scientific public the theoretical assumption of the project, research questions, and methodology. The final part of the talk was dedicated to the data collection process and the prospects for its conclusion.
6. Invited lecture at Tribhuvan University and Madan Bhandari Memorial College
On 10 and 11 May 2023, Krzysztof Stroński presented the main goals and preliminary results of the Polonez project (TOGICOP) in the Linguistics Department at Tribhuvan University in Kathmandu (Nepal) and in Madan Bhandari Memorial College. He has also met department authorities to discuss prospects of future collaboration in the field of linguistics typology as well as diachronic linguistics.